This course is the foundational writing course for all Scriptorium students. It provides formal instruction in grammar, logic, rhetoric, writing, and how to study literature.
***Open to middle and high school students, the course is pre-requisite or co-requisite for all high school-level Scriptorium courses.
REQUIRED TEXTS – For most of the books below, any edition/translation may be used, but hard copies are required.
- Vitto – Grammar by Diagram (Required 2nd edition ISBN: 9781551117782)
- The Art of Argument Student Workbook (Required ISBN: 9781600510182) – Available from Classical Academic Press
- Lost Tools of Writing, Level I Student Workbook (Required from CiRCE Institute)
- Top 500 Poems (Recommended: Harmon editor, ISBN: 9780231080286)
- Ovid – Metamorphoses (Recommended: Lombardo translation/Hackett, ISBN: 9781603843072)
- Shakespeare – Julius Caesar (Recommended: Ignatius Press edition, ISBN: 9781586176167)
- The Song of Roland (Recommended: Sayers translation/Penguin, ISBN: 9780140440751)
- Shakespeare – Merchant of Venice (Recommended: Ignatius Press edition, ISBN: 9781586173203)
- Wodehouse – The Code of the Woosters (Recommended: Norton paperback, ISBN: 9780393339819)
Image: (c) 2018 Grace Hughbanks – Prague, Czech Republic